Saturday, September 3, 2011

Locksley Archer Brown

I was going through some family photos today and I ran across one of my cousin - Locksley (Lock as he was affectionately known by the family).

We buried my cousin on 10/28/2007 - He was the brother I never had - he was just 49 years young! Everyone said he was now in a better place with no more pain (he had been sick for some time you see) and how we should loose him. Excuse my selfishness because I want him back - here - NOW!


On that day the pastor said think of a pleasant memory of him and hold on to that. The first thing that came to mind was how much fun we had growing up. How we used to sneak into his big sisters candy stash and take her treats, and how he used to get me in so much trouble for it.


Then I closed my eyes to replay those moments in my head, but my minds eye immediately went to his ever smiling face and I remembered what a wonderful person he was - always with a pleasant disposition and positive attitude, never complaining. Forever the optimist - even when times were not so good. Always giving of himself - or whatever you needed. Always reminding us of life's simple pleasures...his favorite phrase to me, "Jan don't worry about it!"


Looking within I realized how fleeting life is. I realized that everyday in this life is a gift that we should strive to live to the fullest - fulfilling our dreams and being thankful. Not worrying about that which we have no control over. Not crying over things in the past.


Sadness and sorrow are indeed a reality of life, but we must remember that the rain falls on everyone...it's just life. Our time here on this earth is merely a dress rehearsal for our grand performance before The Master...this life be short but the rewards of heaven are eternal.


As I watched his casket being lowered into the ground I smiled and thought to myself, "I love you and I will miss you my dear cousin/brother. Thank you for showing me how it should be done...and now you can take your final bow."

Rest In Peace...until we meet again
Locksley Archer Brown, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment